I was so lucky to be tagged by my blogger friend, Val, http://www.fromrussiaforlove.blogspot.com/! This my first time and I am a dummy when it comes to these things. But here I go, forewarning I am out of my normal Christmas planning and decorating, I've been distracted.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper with coordinating bows and ribbons for everyone but Don and the kids. They get a little less favorable wrapping since they get so many gifts. However, I did find a mother load of bags that I bought after Christmas last year. So I may be using some. I am not the best at wrapping gifts ahead of time so we'll see how it goes. Not opposed to either.
2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial. Sorry, I would love to have real but it just isn't practical. I usually do 5 to 7 trees. This year we only have 4, I've been distracted. We couldn't afford real and they don't last long in South Florida.
3. When do you put up your tree? I usually start Thanksgiving weekend and putter away at it for a week and call it quits.
4. When do you take the tree down? Day after Christmas unless we have a party after Christmas like a New Years Eve party then I'll leave it up till the 1st.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Today it would be the matching outfits my cousin, Jenny and I would get from our grandma each year. One year we got quilted jackets and pants blue (maybe denim) with pink flowers on them and pink shirts and they were so cute. Back then, maybe my Simon game or my Baby Alive doll.
7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes, but it isn't out this year and I have major guilt about it. I often feel the meaning of Christmas is lost so I try to make it part of my decorating. Lots of thought invoking words and crosses and angels. Minimize Santa maximize Christ!
8. Hardest person to buy for? Not sure. This year it is Steph, she hasn't given me but 2 ideas. But she loves everything, just not sure what she really wants!
9. Easiest person to buy for? My baby, Brynn. She gave me an exact list this year. It was excellent. Michelle was right behind, we went shopping and I remembered the things she looked at and liked.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Couldn't be one cause no present is ever bad! We do funny gifts sometimes in our family and some of them are pretty darn gross! Used, old tennis shoes comes to mind but that was my grandma and I that gave those to my sister!
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, if you are lucky! I am not the best at sending cards out! Sorry everyone. I love you but I just don't get in to it, probably because my handwriting stinks. I have gotten bad and done the family typed letter and will probably do it again this year. I do apologize and realize I am wrong on this one! I have lots of guilt.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? A Christmas Story, how can you beat it. Christmas Vacation is great too. My darling step-father is responsible for these two, he watches a Chrimstas Story over and over every year. He even has the sexy leg lamp from it (miniature version)!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Depends on what I find. If I find firetrucks and fire stuff for Don I buy it throughout the year and save it for his next special day. Usually I don't start till after Thanksgiving.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Of course I am cheap! We regift gag gifts every year in our family. There is a shawl that has been passed around my whole life. Wonder who has it this year? It makes it all over this great country but it is happiest in Minnesota.
15. Favorite things to eat at Christmas? Hmmmm...I love all food (everyone knows) my mom makes some special Swedish meatballs and these almond bars (just ate them tonite). I acutally love Swedish sausage but it is hard to come by and lutefisk but it is really hard to come by. What can I say but that I am a Swede! But you can forget the lefse, I don't like it much!
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Which tree? I am partial to white. Don has red on his tree in the den to go with all of the firetrucks. Actually, it is probably so he can dream of the red light district while sleeping in his recliner in there! I have these round pearlized lights that I love but didn't use this year.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Silent Night. My mom used to sing it to me in Swedish and so did my grandma. Might have to have my mom sing it to me again.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel. The last years we have gone to my mom's for Christmas that way we see them and the girls and some years Don's parents are around too. Brynn then gets to go her paternal grandmother's house. It works but we are planning to be home next year and invite everyone to come if they want. The girls are getting older and have other places they would like to be and I would like to try Christmas at home for a change. We'll see nothing is ever carved in stone.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? No but I do recall the most famous reindeer of all!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Which tree? This year we have stars on two and bows on two. I also have angels just not out this year.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve always. When Brynn was little she did open Santa presents Christmas morning. We do our big family celebration Christmas eve. When I was young Santa arrived at my great aunt and uncles house in Odin, Minnesota after dinner Christmas Eve. It was the best!! I am often told that I yelled "Come on down Santa" one year when he was standing at the top of the basement steps. Gosh to be that young again!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? That people forget that we are celebrating Christ's birth and to be happy about it!
23. What is the "corniest" family tradition you do, or miss doing? The shawl but it is the best!
24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented? The glass ball ornament or come to our church group Christmas party (last night) we get some real beauties. Actually, we have some real bad ones that can't be described on here.
25. Which looks the best, theme trees or homey trees? Homey trees. I love all Christmas trees. I wish I had one full of handmade ornaments by kids!
26. What does Christmas mean to you? That we all need to love one another! Be kind and good spirited to everyone you meet. That I am truly grateful for everyone in my life and all of my good fortunes and I know Who to thank for it!!
Val, this was kind of fun. But where is number 5? I sure hope my family enjoys my trips down memory lane. We had the best Christmases growing up. My grandma and my great aunt, Lorraine put so much work in to it all. They were two very special ladies. Ok gotta stop cause the tears are welling up! Just not the same without them. I love my mom and aunt, they try to pick up where they left off but I guess since I am old it isn't the same. Maybe the fact that Florida and Minnesota aren't the same has impact.
Ok, tag Marie (www.journeytoparents.blogspot.com) and Kris (http://www.hearttohome.blogspot.com/) are it! I don't know how to imbed or whatever it is! Sorry I am a dummy on this !
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Thanks for sharing. :)
Post a Comment